FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- November 22, 2022
Contact: Kevin Kelly (573) 751-9300
Natural Gas Rates to Change for Spire Missouri Customers
JEFFERSON CITY---To reflect estimated changes in the wholesale cost of natural gas as well as a change in the company’s Actual Cost Adjustment (ACA) factor, Spire East and Spire West customers of Spire Missouri, Inc. d/b/a Spire will see natural gas rates change under a filing that takes effect on November 29, 2022.
The ACA factor is a mechanism which tracks any over-collection or under-collection of actual natural gas costs over a 12 month period. The net over- or under-collected balances are subsequently either refunded or collected the next year.
Spire East residential customers currently pay approximately $0.60 per Ccf (per hundred cubic feet) of natural gas. Under this filing, the rate will increase to approximately $0.71 per Ccf.
Spire West residential customers currently pay approximately $0.79 per Ccf of natural gas. Under this filing, the rate will increase to approximately $0.92 per Ccf.
The cost of natural gas from wholesale suppliers generally makes up approximately 50% to 55% of a customer’s total monthly natural gas bill. The wholesale cost of natural gas (the cost your local natural gas company must pay to its suppliers for natural gas) is not regulated by the Missouri Public Service Commission. The wellhead cost of natural gas is unregulated and is primarily driven by supply, demand and the weather. The Missouri Public Service Commission does conduct an annual regulatory review to ensure that regulated natural gas companies make prudent decisions in securing natural gas supplies for their customers.
What you can do to help manage your utility bill:
- Add attic insulation if necessary.
- Place weather stripping around doors, use plastic film covering and caulk windows to keep heat from escaping from your home.
- Change or replace furnace filters each month when dirty.
- Have your chimney checked for blockage.
- Close fireplace dampers when the fireplace is not being used.
- Have your heating system checked and tuned-up if needed.
- Place an approved insulated cover-jacket around the hot water heater.
- Consider getting professional help for any projects that are beyond your capabilities.
- Contact your local utility company to ask about energy saving tips and programs.
Spire East provides natural gas service to approximately 662,800 customers in the City of St. Louis as well as the Missouri counties of St. Louis, St. Charles, Butler, Iron, Franklin, Jefferson, Madison, Crawford, St. Francois and Ste. Genevieve. Spire West provides natural gas service to approximately 532,900 customers in Andrew, Barry, Barton, Bates, Buchanan, Carroll, Cass, Cedar, Christian, Clay, Clinton, Dade, DeKalb, Greene, Henry, Howard, Jackson, Jasper, Johnson, Lafayette, Lawrence, McDonald, Moniteau, Pettis, Platte, Ray, Saline, Stone and Vernon counties.