Low-Cost Winter Energy Savings Tips
Insulating and Sealing Air Leaks
- Caulk and place weatherstripping on windows and doors that leak air.
- Install switch and outlet gaskets / foam inserts located on outer walls.
- Insulate heat ducts that travel through unheated areas of your home, such as crawl spaces, the attic and garage.
- Seal up areas on outer walls and basement around plumbing penetrations.
- Fill gaps around chimney.
Heating and Ventilation
- Install a programmable thermostat with your furnace to adjust the temperature setting while you sleep or no one is home.
- Replace the furnace filter monthly or when dirty.
- Have your furnace inspected and tuned-up by a professional before the heating season.
- If you have radiators, place heat-resistant reflectors (i.e., aluminum or aluminum foil) between the exterior walls of your home and the radiators.
- Install a heater jacket for the water heater (do not install jacket if heater has foam insulation).
- Place foam pipe wrap around warm water pipes (keep wrap 12 inches away from top of heater).
- Install plastic on windows.
- Replace conventional light bulbs with efficient compact fluorescent lights (CFL) or light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs.